Saturday, June 21, 2008

HAPPY SUMMER!!!

Happy Summer, Everyone!
Just what is Summer Solstice? According to a questionable source...

"Traditionally, Summer Solstice is celebrated at noon when the sun stands directly overhead and the full force of solar energy can be felt and drawn upon in ritual. One stands beneath the sun, for a while, absorbing the light and heat, and establishing a connection which can be drawn upon in rites later that night.

This is a time of purifying, of cutting through obstacles and drawing on the dynamic power of the God principle to manifest your own power. Lift up your hearts in celebration of the fertility and wonder of life and remember to give thanks for that which has been manifested for you since the last Sabbat.

Many traditions throughout time have celebrated the Solstices, from the times of the ancient and the indigenous people to present day. Bonfires are set on hilltops. People dance around the fires. In many places, after the fire has died away and only the hot coals are remaining, children will be lifted across the coals to be blessed and cleansed by the smoke.

The Summer Solstice is a time to be happy. It is a time to remove unwanted things from your life. It is a time to dance and sing and spread joy and be filled with love." (www.crystalinks.com)


I know that the Summer Solstice is traditionally a Pagan ritual celebrated at Stonehenge (which is one of the many places I want to visit before I die). However, I never realized how many other cultures and countries, even Christians, share in this. St. John the Baptist is celebrated in many parts of the world and I was quite surprised with that. (guess I missed that day in Sunday School). So, however you plan on celebrating this day, I hope you all enjoy the first full day of summer.
(Especially Shakes, Happy BDAY!) I'm all about the standing in the sun and recharging, but I think today is going to be more of the "removing of unwanted things from your life"...I'm cleaning out the garage.

So here's to the longest day of the year...here's to a day of sunshine with no more flooding issues....here's to a day to dance and sing and to thank God for health, happiness, friendship and family. Sun rays to all....

13 comments:

Osh said...

I celebrated with soup and Johnny Depp, is that OK?

Cybermom said...

Way more than ok! One could probably eat shards of glass and see Johnny Depp and still be ok...well, bloody but ok!

Christine said...

What a wonderful blog about Summer Solstice. I was just talking with someone the other day at work about Stonehenge. She was actually there (I too hope to see it someday). It must really be a sight to see.

I loved the bit you wrote about the ritual. Happy First Full Day of Summer to you too. :)

Blaznfire911 said...

I celebrated by sleeping. bummer...I missed it!

Working Slob said...

I celebrated by eating some Taco Bell and watching season 4 of Jump Street.

Happy Summer Solstice and Shakes B-day!

shakenbsis said...

Thanks Peg, this was a really great write up! WONDERFUL!!!

Osh said...

Hey...you kept saying you missed me...where did I go?

I think I am confused, but that is normal. LOL!

Cybermom said...

Well, Osh, wherever you were...I'm glad you're here now! And I can see smiles through the text...I think!
BTW, normal is sooooo overrated!

So any news for Thursday? I have to work half the day, but it's pretty flexible. If it's all ago, maybe I could hang with you guys.
I don't think I want to drive down alone...

Peg

Osh said...

hmmm
Thursday...I know Movie Star Wife would like to go down too, I don't have room in my car for everybody that wants to go plus Evan, so probably we will have to take 2 cars...are you in Madison?

shakenbsis said...

There is also one more... Tiffany aka Lawgirl, (who Vix and I were with in Milwaukee) wants to go. She is in Milwaukee, but I'm sure woudl meet us along hte way somewhere...

Osh said...

maybe Jerry can send a bus for us...

shakenbsis said...

be still my heart...

Blaznfire911 said...

Peg doesn't live in Madison. She lives closer to me. Maybe she, Tiffany, and I can drive to Madison, or something and meet up with you????