Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Moral Dilemmas

Tonight is my son's first T-ball game. (ok, actually it was last Wed. but I was too busy watching PE in Milwaukee and stalking JD to remember!! OUCH! I'm a horrible mom!) Anyhow, I signed him up for the lowest level possible. I have some friends whose kids have been playing "catch" since they were in the uterus, but playing baseball with him was something I had never ventured. Am I horrible? Shouldn't he know the game? He even said to me that he was worried that he doesn't know how to play. How sad is it that by the age of 6, we have realized that others judge us by our inadequacies!

The coach called last night to give me directions to the park so I asked if there would be instruction. Coach reassured me that there were itty bittys on the team age 4 and 5, so my son should be ok.

My question with all of this is, why do I feel so stressed that my son will look stupid on the field? Should I spend the next few hours cramming the rules for Doubleday's invention? Should I just send him out with no net and see if he can swim? Tyler is my one and only; I will not have any more children. There's a lot of pressure to not screw things up the only time around! My mom had four daughters. By the time she got to me, the baby, she knew what to do...

Or did she? I recall in middle school, talking to a friend I had grown up with. She said, "Do you remember playing little league?" She and I were the only two girls in the whole crew. I answered that I had remembered and she asked me "Why did you always wear flip-flops to the games? I could never understand that. I think that's why you were always in right field." OMG! I am such a dork! I did! I did wear flip-flops! And I did play right field! What was I thinking? What was Mom thinking, sending me that way? I guess Mom didn't really do things perfectly, even the fourth time around!

So there's my answer...I will send my boy off to his first t-ball game, fully dressed in proper attire, and let nature take its course...Heck, I have solace knowing that he'll have some fond memory to share with his buddies some day. Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome mom- I know, I have seen you in action.
And don't worry about Tyler- when hard objects are coming at him quickly he will learn to catch- or to run faster. Either way, everyone wins.

stargazer said...

I have to agree with Monkey, you are an awesome MOM. The good thing is that you did remember T-Ball tonight. It's hard to believe that it was a week ago already that you and I were in Milwaukee. Time really has flown.

So back to Tyler. Usually at this age they are spinning in circles, watching the grass grow, watching the butterflies flutter in the air and clouds in the sky.

T-Ball is very interesting to them. LOL. Just go and enjoy yourself. Take lost of pics and have fun. He will do just fine. Remember, I've been there and done that. But it was a long time ago.
Trust your older seester :)

Have a great night and I will talk with you later

Your P in C
ST

Blaznfire911 said...

Hmmmm... this brings back memories for me....

I do recall something that happened last week wednesday....do you?

It was something along the lines of "Where am I? Oh, I'm otherwise engaged!" I will NEVER stop chuckling at that!

I was on a similar team when I was in England. You just have to throw him out there, and see what happens. He might like it, or he might not. Either way, he is a part of something, and he might make a few new friends....like we have all made from the public enemies film.

vicky

Cybermom said...

Monkey, you have resurfaced! Thanks so much for joining my blogosphere!!!

And Stargazer and Blazn...you two are the only ones who witnessed my "engagement"! haha! So I'm holding you to secrecy, except of course, I did just put it on my blog! hee hee!