Wednesday, July 2, 2008

His Return...no, not Johnny's, sorry!

Now that the filming of Public Enemies is wrapped up, I realize why I was able to put so much energy towards 'following Hollywood' around Wisconsin and Illinois...I was filling a void that was left by the retirement of Brett Favre!

March 4th , 2008 and the days to follow were very difficult. Ask some of my students...at lunch time on the 5th, many of them, mostly boys, were shedding tears with me as the legendary Brett Favre called it quits. During the days to follow, as with any end of the Packer season for the past five years, there were tons of speculative questions... "Is this for real?" "Would he change his mind once training camp starts?" etc... And that brings us to today's announcement that "Brett Favre has the 'itch' to return..."

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Children of all ages...welcome to the MEDIA CIRCUS which is about to begin!"

When I just heard this on the 5 o'clock news, I was ecstatic, but cautious. Right away the speculation began with the newscasters..."What if the Packers choose not to bring him back? There are many other teams that would gladly pick him up." WHAT?! #4 not a Packer? Seriously folks. Could you see BF running out on the field in some ungodly dome wearing purple? I think not! I know he's got the itch, but does it need to be scratched in that manner?

I'm trying to remain calm. I'm trying to remain hopeful. When he 'retired' in March, I felt like the trap door opened and we devoted Packer fans fell through the floor unexpectedly. I begged...Give us one more year, Brett. Give these adoring fans who have grown up with you, supported you and loved you, one more year to say goodbye the right way. Heck, Reggie White retired 'a few times' and we gladly opened our green and gold arms to welcome him back. However, when I heard that the first game was designated by the Packers to retire Favre's number, I thought it was official.

And now the circus begins...Is it for real? Is he coming back a Bear, a Buc, a Vike? Or are the Packers willing to give him another chance? All I know is that I bought my tickets for Packer Family night last week, and I'm a loyal Packer fan. I'll be there with or without him...but I prefer to see #4 running out that tunnel onto a green and gold field...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Egads! Not this again. I am surprised this information did not bump regularly scheduled programs.

Cybermom said...

Yeah, I figured that you would be all over this one! I know, I'm one of those criers you mentioned on your blog!

I, too, thought that it would be all over the news, but no one is around to confirm/deny anything. They're all on VACATION!

Speaking of which, oh goddess of html, I just put this clock on my site and the border on the right cuts it off. Do you think you could look at the code and help a sista out???

lawgirl said...

Great blog. I would love it if he came back. He's been through so much in the last few years, I have no animosity for his constantly changing mind. After all, it just shows he has a feminine side!