Saturday, July 19, 2008

Senior Citizens, The Dark Knight and Wii Bowling


The much awaited movie, The Dark Knight, has now bombarded theaters across the nation. Lines of anxious fans formed nearly a day before the opening at midnight. Who are your typical 'Dark Knight' fans? Senior citizens???
I'd think not! But much to my surprise, my 80 year old mother saw this epic on Thursday, in a sneak peek showing....
WHAT?????

I just got off the phone with Mom and she shared some of her events this past week, as we usually catch up with one another every few days... here's what was going on in AARPland!

My aunt and uncle are serious moviegoers and were able to get four tickets for Thursday and invited my mom and their cousin to see the film. My mom does not see movies at the theater. Nor does her cousin. In fact, my mom has only gone recently to G rated movies with my son and I. She thought Kung Fu Panda was violent....

So imagine her review of the 'Knight'!

Since they got there a bit late, you know, not camping out all day, they were only able to capture seats near the front...very near the front! As the movie began, Mom begins to ask questions and comment on the explosions and semis tipping over, hospitals blowing up, etc... and she got "shushed" by my aunt...( only because 'uncle' doesn't like people talking...in fact he has to chow down his popcorn prior to the film since he can't concentrate on the movie and eat at the same time! Maybe the chomping sound is too loud in his head??? I don't know, but I think that's pretty bizarre!) So during the film, she couldn't voice her opinion...which had to be pretty hard!

Needless to say, my Mom was freaked out with this film, especially seeing the Joker up so close and Two Face's burn...She's a romantic comedy/drama type movie watcher, on TV...

After she tells me all of this, I still can't believe how cool my mom is! She saw TDK way before many of the Batman die-hard fans...how awesome is that? I think I'm going to buy her a Joker action figure! (BTW, she did think that Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne was 'very good looking'. When I told her that he was in Public Enemies with Johnny Depp, I said that she had another reason to go see it when it comes out! Heck maybe we could score some early tickets with my aunt? ha ha. But I couldn't sit with my uncle...I talk and eat popcorn during the film...SORRY!)

Later in our conversation, Mom told me that she spent the day her friend who recently had a stroke is in rehab. The nurse was talking about how some patients play Wii. Mom pipes in and says, "Barb, you can bowl! I bowled on the Wii with my grandsons and it's really fun. You just take the remote and throw it like a ball!" (Both she and Barb are teammates on several bowling leagues.)

How freaky is it that my mom can recommend Wii and review TDK all in the same phone conversation... I need to get out more!

5 comments:

shakenbsis said...

I love that Peg! How our world is changing... My mom got a blackberry the other day! Shocked the daylights out of me, she doesn't even like to e-mail ;)

Haven't had a Wii conversation with her though... ;)

Osh said...

I am probably the only person in the world that walked out on the last Batman with Mr Bale...sorry...my Batman will always be Michael Keaton. I don't understand the need to keep making the movies over and over again.
Jack No Last Name Needed will always be The Joker to me.

But that is cool about your mom and the wii!

Cybermom said...

Hey Osh, you don't have to apologize to me! I think the only Batman is George Clooney! (with Chris O'Donnell as Robin). Were they before or after Val Kilmer? He's my #2.
I haven't even seen Bale as Batman, nor will probably will I. "The Dark Knight" intrigues me only to see Heath's final performance. But I agree with you about Jack...Awesome Joker:)

Cybermom said...

ok, will probably will I?
I think I've been away from school for too long!

Blaznfire911 said...

I LOVE WII!!!!! I am the BEST bowler EVER!! We should play sometime LOL (with rum)