Friday, July 11, 2008

Public Enemies: White vans, Black SUVs and Johnny Depp



Ok, so it's been a month, but the Depp Effect continues. I recently have been in touch with the woman whose daughter had her hair twirled in the video I posted on YouTube. She sent me more pics and this one is the best! When I got it in my email, I just sat and stared...then I was critical! Look at my hands! How can someone give a decent hug with TWO cameras in her hands??? If you know me in real life, you will know that I am never without a camera, or two, or three...I teach digital photography and movie making...what do you expect??? But still, my hands were full...I would've never been able to hug appropriately...or use my hands in a better manner...


Anyhow, when I saw this pic, I hadn't realized that he had rested his hand on my shoulder...Why does the Depp Effect take that away from us? I don't remember this...I was obviously too busy talking!

As I said earlier, not only has the Depp Effect continued, but so has the Public Enemies effect.
Two days ago I was driving my son to summer school and there was a van in front of us, a WHITE VAN!
Now mind you, there were windows in the back which would NOT be an ideal Extras van, but my mind wandered and I replayed some fun base camp experiences in my head (while getting out my cell phone to take this pic...) Then ironically, around the next bend, lo and behold, what did I see?

Needless to say, I had a pretty solid chuckle, and the kid asks "What's so funny?" What do I say? I saw two white vans? HILARIOUS, I know... I made up some little white lie and went back to my imaginings...

So the question here today has to do with the withdrawals of Public Enemies...are you going through some of the same hallucinations? When you see a black SUV, do you look for the half rolled down window with the hand extended? Do you see yellow police tape, and in no way relate it to a horrendous crime, but a neatly blocked off area with barricades?

My advice...(whether it is asked for or not!) Keep up the hallucinations, the chuckles at white vans, the tape and barricades, because you never know when that hand extended out the window is Johnny Depp's!



15 comments:

~Minxie~ said...

*laughs* Yes, the Depp-Effect seems to make everything a blur. There were so many things that I didnt remember until I saw the video.
Here, the white vans have no meaning as they werent around. But yes, darkened windows of SUVs....LOL...you just never know.....

That is a GREAT pic by the way!!!

Happy Friday!!!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. I still get that giddy feeling everytime I see black SUVs roaming around. It's also the same with any vehicle with Indiana plates. The other whosits and I point them out to whoever will listen, and have even been known to call each other when more than one occurance happens in one day. People look at us like we're nuts, but it keeps excitement in our lives and that little inside joke that people just cannot figure out! And we have no intention of stopping anytime soon.

LOVE the pic...who cares about the cameras. I didn't even notice them until you pointed them out.

shakenbsis said...

Very sweet!
The Depp-Effect is certainly lasting and has it's way with the 5senses ;)
I'm glad you got to see this and that you shared it with us.
There are a lot of 'those' type black suv's in my town, my heart skips a beat when I see one...
Brings back some nice memories! ;)

you never know...

Anonymous said...

You certainly are putting the "atic" into fan.
Nice photo!

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh!

It's Audi A8s for me. If I see a dark Audi A8 with tinted windows it takes me right back to the time I saw him climbing out of the back of one, and walking straight towards me. *Sigh*

I'm not surprised that the Depp Effect has not worn off yet. Maybe it never will! ;)

Blaznfire911 said...

Aww Peg... could NOT have said it better myself love! I still have the Depp Effect as well. In fact, I was driving downt he road today behind a black and tan ford explorer....I knew it was NOT the same as JD's car, but I follwed closely just in case LOL

I know JD drove in an expidition, so when I see one, I give a BIG grin.....all the memories come sailing back in.

vicky

Osh said...

Every chance he gets Evan rubs my arm and says "maybe if I rub your arm harder and long enough words will come out" in his best Johnny Depp voice (the accent changes daily)


And our in home therapy people might think we are strange that we have our copy of The Johnny Book on the coffee table plus 2 autographed pictures out, one in a nicer frame than my wedding picture. Because I used my wedding frame!

Cybermom said...

Wow, you guys are awesome! I needed to know that it's ok to go through these little spasms!

I love those little inside jokes, Whosit. Just like you, my sister and I have that when we're together with our whole family. Something will be said and it relates back to PE or JD, and we laugh, or joke...I think I've called/emailed her more in the past 3 months than our whole lives! (How sad!)

Jay, love your blog! Took a quick look around and found some interesting stories! Thanks for posting!

Vicky, I miss you! Where ya been hiding out? Soooo busy getting ready for the fair, huh? What pics are you doing? Let me know if you want to go together some time next weekend! Maybe we could convince Shakes to make a trip up! And Osh, too??? ;)

Cybermom said...

Osh, you make me LMAO! Oh, and if you need an extra frame for your wedding picture, I'd be happy to give you one of mine! The wedding photo burned nicely, thank you very much!

Kitty B'gosh said...

Nice blog. Found you through Rod's PE Columbus blog.

I noticed the statement about teaching digital photography. I'm new to the digital world and this is a quandary for me: Do you think the macro setting on the camera is as good as having a macro lens?

Kitty B'gosh said...

Oh, and the Depp-Effect: I re-live it every day! I pass by Basler's (in Oshkosh where some of the airport shots were done) twice each day going to and from work. Each time I pass I can see the extras rehearsing and Michael Mann driving around in his little silver movie car.

It will never end. At least once a week we talk at work about how huge this movie is going to be in Oshkosh and how we should have a premiere where the red carpet would start at the bank; go down Main street; end at the Leach Amphitheatre (where the extras parked and had lunch); and show the movie on a giant screen at the Leach. It will never happen, but we dream.

Cybermom said...

Hi Kitty,
Thanks for dropping in! As far as the setting vs. lens saga, I personally think it depends on the purpose of your pictures and your own level of ability/interest. Lenses can be expensive, but generally would be the better choice. Don't just take my word for it though...I work on a school budget and some minuscule fundraising, so we don't have cameras w/lenses other than what comes with the camera! You may wish to pose this question to Rod and Michelle (whose link can be found on Rod's blog...she's a photographer and would have some better insight!)

Hope this helps!

As for PE in Oshkosh, I think you should all plan this event anyhow, without the stars! What a gala event it could be to show the film in the theater there. Oshkosh was so transformed by this whole project. I don't know how you COULDN'T do something special for the premiere!

Have a great weekend!
Peg

Kitty B'gosh said...

Peg
Thanks for the info. I think I'll work with what I've got for now and see how I like things. My little niche is butterflies, flowers (macro use)and wildlife such as birds and deer. I had a Canon AE1 for the past 30 years. Had along and a short zoom, both with macro. Last week I bought an Olympus E510. I haven't' had time to really play with it yet--still getting things cleaned up from the flooding. But I'm excited to get moving on experimenting. I treated myself to a lens that gives me the equivalent of 600mm on a 35mm camera. Can't wait to have time to zoom in on those deer.

lawgirl said...

Yes-I do the same thing as well. Any white vans or black SUV's and I think of Universal and Johnny. I really miss having JD around. It was fun knowing you could get in your car and go see him. The waiting in the crowd was fun, even when it rained.

That pictures is so nice. It looks like Johnny used his hands enough for both of you.

Please contact me about the things we discussed!!

Osh said...

Evan just told me this morning about his dream last night about white vans and Jerry...that Jerry and his wife invited him to live with them for the rest of the summer...it was so sweet...he asked if other people had PE dreams...if he only knew...